***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ***
New Early Warning Reporting Portal
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Office of Defects
Investigation (ODI) will soon be launching a new Early Warning Reporting (EWR)
Portal for manufacturers. This new portal will be the central site where manufacturers will
submit Field Reports, Death and Injury Report responses to Death Inquiries (DIs),
responses to Comprehensive Inquires (CI), aggregated data-including production,
death and injury claims, and warranty claims, and Substantially Similar annual
This portal is intended to standardize the processes by which manufacturers submit
information required by the Transportation Recall
Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act. The EWR
Portal will allow manufacturers to:
- Upload files directly to the Trends Analysis Division (TAD) of ODI via a secure web portal,
- Manage historical submissions,
- View the status of submissions (accepted, rejected, or in process),
- Respond directly to DIs and CIs,
- Communicate with NHTSA regarding ongoing inquires, investigations, and compliance with TREAD/EWR reporting requirements.
It will also provide ODI with enhanced capabilities to
monitor and report on manufacturers' compliance with TREAD/EWR reporting requirements.
What is changing?
- Manufacturers will be required, with limited exceptions, to upload all submissions and inquiry responses related to TREAD/EWR via the EWR Portal.
- The Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) servers used today for TREAD/EWR submissions will be decommissioned.
- Aggregate data will no longer be accepted via Excel format. Manufacturers will be required to submit data in XML format. An Excel to XML converter tool will be available on the EWR Portal to assist manufacturers.
- Submissions are to be completed by manufacturers and will no longer be uploaded by TAD or the EWR Helpdesk.
- The EWR account management services provided on https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ewr/login.cfm will be discontinued.
- The data entry applications on https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ewr/login.cfm will no longer accept Equipment and Low Volume Vehicle Death and Injury submissions.
What is not changing?
- Manufacturers must continue to submit TREAD/EWR submissions as they currently do until they are notified by TAD via email that the EWR Portal is available.
- The EWR reporting requirements for regulation 49 CFR Part 579 are still applicable, and there are no changes to data reporting requirements or reporting frequency.
- Existing primary and secondary EWR accounts will be moved to the new EWR Portal.
- Manufacturers can access submission information and view status information. All historical submissions will be available upon EWR Portal login.
- The EWR Helpdesk will still be available for questions and issues at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 366-3348.
How can I learn more?
Training sessions will be offered to all EWR account
contacts and communicated via email in the coming months. Please update your
company's contact email address by contacting the EWR Help Desk to ensure you receive
all communications regarding the TREAD/EWR submission process and EWR Portal.
Check back often for status updates.
For all other questions, please contact the EWR Helpdesk at email@example.com or (202) 366-3348.
On behalf of NHTSA, thank you for your continued partnership,
Tanya Topka, Division Chief, TAD
Status updates will be posted here as they become available.